Thursday, September 4, 2008

Math Genius!

So I had a moment in class today where I thought I would explode with happy. For like the first time ever in my life I was singled out as the high score personage of break the bell curve awesome in a MATH class. Yes, this girl got a 100. It was shiny. I was basking quietly in a sort of embarrassed pleasure. This is one of those things that never happened before. It makes me want to keep trying, to keep getting that grade on tests and screw everyone else. I want to succeed!

Also, I managed to write my 500 word cause effect paper in English class in one sitting. I'm writing on the effects of clean slate reformers in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. It's a pretty fascinating topic if you look at it from both perspectives. In some ways the charter school push is the bad guy, using schools as an experiment for free market educational economies is initially supposed to incite a push for higher education standards as a way to draw in the best students, but it seems to be more of a segregating factor that instead improves a school's marketing ability. It's an interesting dilemma for someone who had up to this point been considering starting her own charter/magnet school in the indeterminate future.

I've also started researching my paper for Western Civ, quite possibly my favorite class this term. I've thrown out all of the options the professor gave us (with his blessing) and decided to focus on the life of Aspasia of Miletus. She's mostly relegated to footnote status, but is turning into something of a personal hero and I want to find out more about her. She hung with Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. She was the lover and chief advisor of the most influential man of the Classical Athenian era Pericles. Overall, she's just something of a mystery and her achievements are either ridiculed by her male societal detractors or lauded for her cunning and mastery of rhetoric by her male sophist peers. She, in the fullest sense of the word, is made of awesome.

I'm still enjoying my philosophy class and have my first test on Tuesday. I also have to really dig in and get to work on the next journal assignment which deals with my personal beliefs on metaphysics and ethics. It should be interesting to say the least. Maybe I'll start tossing some of my paper rough drafts up here just to check back on at another time.

My outside of school life is still oddly complicated. I live and die by my daily planner. Wednesdays seem to have become something of a relax and chill with my friends day. Monday nights are my night with the boy. It's nice to wake up in the morning and drive there with him. It's gotten a little more difficult to spend time together with both of us working and in school, but it's definitely worth whatever time I get to spend with him.

Work is work. On Labor Day I got paid time and a half to draw pretty signs. That was cool. I've done more art for Starbucks than I have done in the last ten years. It's refreshing, but also reminds me why I'm not interested in pursuing a career in art and design.

I miss having free time and most of all I miss having a car and the freedom to just go where I need to when I need to. This will change soon though. I'm working on it. AUGH.

1 comment:

Buddy Goose said...

Meagn,

I know that feeling exactlly. When I went back to school while I was working it really motivated me. I remember taking Geology with a bunch of young students and missing only 2 questions on all of the exams for three quarters. The rest of the students thought I was a genius.

little did they know,
Dad