Thursday, September 18, 2008

Job Application Letter

Okay, it may just be me, but I find that the language necessary to seem competent in a successful job application letter is very similiar to the self inflated ego driven hot air I hear in some of the people I consider jackasses. This is difficult for me. But, for the sake of maintaining my "A" average in all of my classes I bit the bullet and talked myself up.

Urgh. I feel slimy. Please, rip it apart and tell me if I have failed or if this is actually someone a company would fall for... I mean, hire.


To Whom it May Concern:

Subject: Editorial Assistant Position

Detail oriented thinking and conceptual visualization are qualities that I have worked to acquire. I enjoy finding grammatical mistakes in novels. I voluntarily clean and reorganize the customer coffee station at Starbucks. I love finding a story in every customer that has five minutes to share while making change. My attention to detail and current focus on English as a major in college help qualify me for the entry-level editorial assistant position listed on your Website.

I currently tutor a graduate level student working on his masters’ thesis and am maintaining the highest grade in my English class. I am a self-starter and have pushed the envelope on the content and structure of my papers. I research and double-check the simplest of papers. I enjoy fact checking. I love finding the truth underneath the glossy story. I always find something new to learn and am not unwilling to ask for help. I work well with others and do my best to collaborate seamlessly.

I currently work at a coffee shop where I do all of the in house signage. I handcraft each, using past artistic experience and quick copy editing skills. I write the emails for my boss to her company supervisor. I double check every announcement posting for grammar and spelling mistakes. I strive to make sure customers get exactly what they order. I strive to go further and give them exactly what they want by listening to their expectations and attempting to anticipate their needs. Communication is the largest part of excellent customer service and I maintain a specificity of language and a high standard of service that meets the needs of each customer. I am motivated and willing to learn. I learn from my mistakes. I can express myself clearly.

I am committed to doing my best in any form of employment. After reviewing the enclosed resume, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss why I would be a successful member of your team. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Meagn Goose


On another note, I did get an "A" on my Katrina Paper. In fact the only comment that the professor could make critically for it was actually incorrect. Semi colon useage is perfectly legal and definately does NOT indicate a comma splice. Thankyouverymuch.

I'm continuing to work on the comic book based paper and will post that up for everyone who actually gives a shit to read through once I have finished. I hope you enjoy it, despite the fact that I am having the damndest time figuring out where I want to start and even quite possibly the correct way to phrase my thesis statement. However, I do want to eventually publish in the academic journal I found on comic books just so that I can say I was published academically in my early undergraduate work in any college transfer application I do.

Which reminds me, I'm going to be looking into more on the Flagler College up in St Augustine. It seems at first glance like it would be a good fit, but that could all depend on the amount of financial aid I would be awarded. I also think I may go to graduate school at UF just so I can get a masters degree in comic books and visual rhetoric. That sounds freaking awesome despite the obvious drawbacks of employability. Who knows what tomorrow brings though, so no worries at the moment.

All is well on the southern front, hope you all are doing fabulously.

2 comments:

Maria Melee said...

I'd totally hire you.

velutlunas said...

I'm not sure you count, as you are one of my biggest fans, but I adore that you said so. *flop* I'm going to start working on that resume and see what I might be able to get myself applied to. SBux is nice and all, but the pay is shit.