Thursday, September 11, 2008

Due dilligence.

To update: Got a 100 on my Philosophy test and a 98 on my Western Civ. It was kind of weird, two of the questions on the test were thrown out because I was the only one who got them right. Makes me wonder. I almost want to petition the teacher to change my grade by counting the two right questions for the one wrong. Probably not going to happen, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with the grades I have gotten so far. I'm interested to see what I got on my first paper in English, but it's not going to make or break anything really.

Decided to start working ahead a little bit in English and will probably get started on the comparison/contrast paper in the next day or so. I'm thinking I'll go in an entirely new direction and write about the fundamental difference between the Batman represented in the Silver Age of Comics as compared to the Batman represented by Frank Miller in The Dark Knight Returns. I think the dichotomy shows an interesting shift in public views especially if you integrate the social impact of the Cold War.

Heh. Comics is smarts.

Still doing well in Math, trying to stay ahead or at least current with the class. It's kind of fun if I think of it more as an exercise in preparedness than actual math. But we're doing basic algebra and if I don't get that base I'm never going to be able to take physics or higher level math classes. I have this weird desire to take physics, maybe just to prove to myself that I can.

In outside academia news, I have mastered the art of crock pot cooking and now return at the end of the day to a hot meal. This is excellent for the inevitable Law and Order rerun watching. My apartment is staying reasonably clean. I am still searching for the ultimate small space kitty litter. I'm going to finally be able to go to the doctor, the optometrist, and the dentist sometime next month. I vaguely fear for my teeth, but I should be able to handle at least some of the bills. It may be an exercise in damage control more than anything else. Bonus: Free Glasses! (I can't wait to get some new frames with a current prescription.)

I love being a student. I almost get a little knowledge buzz by the end of the day. I have to finish rereading Brave New World today just to be prepared for the book test in Phil. Not that I mind. After that is Stranger in a Strange Land, which I don't think I've read since High School. It's like a renaissance of SF in my life. Joy!

Also, I am ridiculously pleased with the resurgence of my vocabulary. It's rusty. It squeaks in places, but it's getting better every day. (This is also helpful with my strange specific sense of humor.)

It's club rush and I'm really trying to decide if I actually have time to consider taking the plunge into extra curricular. If they meet on tues and thur it's a possibility, but yea, other than that my life is rather full. Amazing how that happens.

No comments: