Friday, October 3, 2008

Same thing we do every night Pinky...

So, I'm trying really hard right now to rein in my urge to take over the world. I mean that in the smallest sense possible. I've accepted the presidency of the English and Humanities Honor Fraternity on campus, I've taken the student ARC position, I've joined the new Think Tank on Campus...

... and I'm considering restarting the Campus Newspaper and running for Student Government to bring the voice of students back to the new President and away from the color scheme of a Fall Formal that most students will never attend. I'm trying to figure out a way to write a magazine article for a new IPhone magazine and possibly flesh out a paper to be published in an academic journal, I'm writing a way too long paper for my Western Civ class, delivering a speech on Stem Cell research, trying to keep up with my homework and readings.

I'm trying to figure out if there is any possibility in hell of getting my GPA up once my transcripts from the first disastrous time in college arrive and if I can get accepted to something other than a State University. I would like to have the option of applying places like Berkley, Brown, Johns Hopkins and other such illustrious establishments and don't want the wreckage of my drunken youth to ruin my future and current opportunities.

I'm trying to work full time to keep my brand new Health Benefits and balance that with a second job so I can afford to live while in school. I'm trying to balance all of that on top of the priority of staying sober and making meetings and working the steps of the program.

So mostly, I feel slightly overwhelmed and exhilarated and wish like HELL there was a pause button so I could sleep eight hours a night and still have the 24 hours I NEED during each day to fit in all of the things I really want to attempt.

After all, I'm taking over the world here. There is no rest for the wicked.

2 comments:

Maria Melee said...

Pace yourself, lady.

As far as getting into schools go, the fact that you're well-spoken-ly aware of why your GPA has dings in it from nearly a decade ago will speak volumes to admissions officers.

For now, try to keep things down to success in classes, bare minimum work hours (health insurance omg!!! that's rad), and getting to your meetings.

Everything else is amazing but will still be there if you have to dive in to those activities with baby steps.

velutlunas said...

Baby steps? What are these baby steps you speak of?

*headdesk*