Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Aspasia, you are my HERO.

So I've been writing a new paper for my Western Civ class about one of the coolest chicks I have discovered so far. I say so far because I haven't had the chance to find out more about some of the other historical women on my "LIST OF CHICKS WHO MAY OR MAY NOT ROCK OUT IN HISTORY". It's a very specific list. I keep it in my pocket in a little notebook. I stare at it and think someday I WILL BE ON A LIST LIKE THIS.

*cough* No, really, I am not plotting to take over the world. why in the world would you think that? *cough*

So here is the first paragraph. It's still rough, but I think it generally sums up the idea of the paper:


Aspasia of Miletus was an aberration in fourth century Athens. In a society that cloistered its women behind the walls of the house, she walked freely through both the polis and agora. In a culture that gagged the feminine voice with the ties of virtue, she conversed with men in the highest levels of politics and sophistry. In a city that believed the “greatest glory of a woman is to be least talked about by men, whether they are praising… or criticizing”(Thucydides 5.4.2), her name was known to thousands. She taught the great orator Pericles his trade and educated the brilliant Socrates in the craft of discussion. She defied the traditions of the day. Her position as a metic allowed her to disregard Attic tradition and her questionable profession of hetaera gained her access to the traditional world of men’s politics and philosophy.


More to follow, once I get it finished. Just have to write about her chillin with Socrates and my personal opinions on her life etc. All of this good. It will be done by tomorrow and ready for the reading Thursday. WHEE.

Two tests thursday and finally got the whole class on board for the project. These are all good things.

No comments: